Friday, June 11, 2010
Spring development reflection 1
The most interesting opportunity I had this term as a mentor was to sit in on the Grad Mentor training class. I went to the training class twice, but the first time was the most revealing. During my visit, Chuck White spoke about the origins of the UNST program. Essentially, the program is the result of funding changes on the state level due to Measure 5, and the fallout from funding reapportionment following it. PSU, like the other state universities had the opportunity to create a multi-disciplinary program in order to earn back some state funding. Also, the program was eligible for millions in grants to get the program off the ground. This story is not one that she be kept largely secret the way the program does now. I had been a mentor for almost a year before I heard about this, which is frustrating as a history major. The program has a heritage and it is important that the students understand that heritage. I think it would greatly increase the buy-in factor for students who largely do not see the point of taking UNST classes. UNST is not just a good alternative to normal general education classes. Also, the story of funding could be an important lesson for students about the implications of ballot measures in Oregon. Ballot measures effect the state government more than the state legislature. So, seeing the effects of ballot measures could make them take direct democracy more seriously, because it can have a huge impact on their lives.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment